Considering Painting the Exterior of Your House?
From time to time the exterior of your home needs a little love too. Not only to enhance your property’s curb appeal and property value but also for your own personal enjoyment. It is however a bigger endeavour than just choosing a paint color and getting stuck in. Here’s how to make the best job out of painting the exterior of your house.
When’s the right time?
It could be obvious when your exterior needs painting but other times the signs may be subtle. Here are some indications as to when you should be painting your house’s exterior:
- If you see paint peeling off.
- If the colour of the existing paint is fading.
- If you have stains on the exterior.
- If the paint makes your house look like it belongs back in the 1950s.
Don’t choose a dated colour to paint with, or one that will be considered dated in years to come. In fact, you may want to go for something fairly neutral so it appeals to as many potential buyers as possible. Here are some other things to consider:
- What colour are your neighbours’ houses and the surrounding environment.
- It has to match the type of home you have. If your home is clearly of a certain era, a very modern take may not complement it.
- Test out any colours you are considering on a small portion of the house before committing to painting the whole thing.
Keep an eye on the weather and weather forecasts as well. It is best not to paint when it is very hot or very cold as this may impact how the paint dries. And cover your garden and paving with tarpaulin to stop paint from damaging the rest of your exterior.
Then prep the boards of your house’s exterior by doing the following:
- Scrape off all the old paint.
- Wash the boards to get rid of mould and dirt.
- Remove any nails from the outside and fill the holes.
- Sand down the boards.
- Re-clean the house.
- Put on a layer of primer.
- Start painting.
The whole job is a substantial one and needs some preparation but the results are worth the effort to ensure your house sells for the right price. If you have any questions about getting ready to sell your home please reach out to one of our Agents or email us at email@example.com and we would be happy to help!